CLICK HERE to contact a pastor about baptism.
Here's what our baptism process looks like:
- Contact MTVchurch to express your interest in being baptized.
- Discuss possible dates with your family and close friends. Many people like to invite people from out of town, so plan ahead.
- Confirm your baptism date with Lori at the Mt Vernon office.
- To best communicate your story, we ask everyone who is baptized to participate in a Mt Vernon Video Production of your baptism story. You can download the information document here.
- The week of your baptism date, you will be contacted by Mt Vernon staff with any final instructions that you need to know.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why should I be baptized?
- To follow the example set by Jesus Christ. “At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.” Mark 1:9
- Because Christ commands it. “Jesus said, ‘Go then, to all people everywhere and make them my disciples, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” Matthew 18:19-20
- It demonstrates that I really am a believer “…many of the people who heard Him believed and were baptized.” Acts 18:8 “We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands.” 1 John 2:3
I was sprinkled as a child. Why should I be baptized by immersion?
Because Jesus was baptized that way, “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water.” Matthew 3:16 Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion “…Then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water…” Acts 8:38- The word “baptize” means “to dip under water.” The Greek word “baptize” means “to immerse or dip under water.”
Who should be baptized?
Every person who has believed in Christ. “Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized…” Acts 2:41 “Simon himself believed and was baptized…” Acts 8:13 “But when they believed Philip as he preached the Good News…and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.” Acts 8:2
When should I be baptized?
As soon as you have believed! “Those who believed…were baptized…that day!” Acts 2:41 “Then Philip began with the scripture and told him (the eunuch) the Good News about Jesus. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water, and the man said, ‘Look, here is water! Why shouldn’t I be baptized right now?’ Philip said, ‘If you believe with all your heart, you may.’ The man answered, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’ So they went down into the water and Philip baptized him.” Acts 8:35-38. There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized.
If I have already received Christ and been baptized by immersion in another independent or denominational church, will I have to be baptized again to be a member of MTVchurch? No. Some people, however, who become members choose to be baptized again if they feel their first baptism was for the wrong reason or preceded their conversion to Christ.
Why do I need to make a baptism video? T
The first believers who were baptized in the Jordan River were baptized at the crossroads of their community, making their association with Jesus visible to all those around. Today, videos are the crossroads of our society. It's your way to take your faith in Jesus public. Through sharing your testimony through video, you'll share your story with more people at one time then you might during your entire life. Don't miss out on this opportunity!